Wednesday, February 08, 2012

blog - February 0812

I feel good about myself and the work that I've been doing today.  Was totally struggling with the platform, and the ad didn't like it much, I can tell.  Hell, even I was not happy with the results.  I don't know.  I'm just not getting it down.  This snow thing is killing me, but at least I 've learned a bit more about the "tool", what it's limitations are in terms of making organic terrain - it's a b....


The UV tool's a bit primitive, but that's also what makes it powerful.  It's fast in creating a "white box" environment with simple building blocks, literally.  And to make details, cut tools that slice, slice and remove half, cut and retain both haves.  Simple rotate tool, and some other basic functions.  In the hands of an experienced designer, one can create a fully functional "block world" environment, along with player start, lighting, scripting, and most important - collision - built into the game and running in a few minutes.  Now that's what's important in the development world - fast iterations.


Thank goodness the parting of ways with making worlds in a 3D package.  Talk about a waste of time.  Nothing is more of a waste of time to me than creating collision for everything in the level environment.


I got better and more important things to do than creating collision boxes for every little change that happens during production, i.e. constant adjustments of the environment to fit better game play "flow" that the designers laid out.  Adjusting anything twice would not be my idea of being productive.


So, today is a good day.


Let's hope more come this way.  I sure as hell need it:S

No comments: