Saturday, June 02, 2007

a sketch a day - June

063007


062907


062807


062707
For some reason, for the past few weeks, I've been waking up before the alarm goes off in the mornings. My eyes open and I'm wide awake, staring up at the ceiling. It's kind of nice at times just thinking about what I need to do that particular day. But mostly, it's annoying because it interrupts what ever dream I was having at that time. I should just get up and go to work early and get more things done, but I really don't want to and sometimes I force myself back to sleep only to be tired when I do get up a couple of hours later. I thought that things would be calmer since the big Alpha push, but no. Due to the fact that production on the Simpsons movie is done, the Simpsons people now have more time to look over our shoulders and want changes to better match the movie. Just wonderful. In addition, some of the the outsourced work that came in for one level sucks the big one, and now we have to fix those this week, wasting more of the precious time that's left for production. Time to take out the rose colored glasses and a big bottle of booze...


062607


062507


062407


062307


062207


062107


062007


061907


061807


061707
I guess the long drive to Alpha had finally caught up to me and all I did for the entire day, yesterday, was a whole lot of "NOTHING"! Other than taking car of the laundry, I pretty much vegged out in front of the tube watching some DVDs.


061607


061507


061407
Ten days of long hours and finally I get to leave at a reasonable time today - six o'clock. Time to start taking care of the huge pile of laundry because I've ran out of socks.


061307
This has been a brutal day - sixteen hours. By the time eight o'clock rolled by, I was starting to fall asleep, so that's not going to be good. Alpha's four hours away and I still lots of work to do. So I went and got a Red Bull from the elevator kitchenette. Downed it, and in a few minutes, I was feeling that rush. Alpha's finally checked in and I have, finally, the time to take care of a few things that's been neglected. I have an infestation in the house, and that infestation is DUST BUNNIES! These pesky little lint balls always seem to gather everywhere. I have SO many that they get caught up, and rolled up in the wake as I walk by. Time to eradicate them with dust bag of vacuum, heh, heh.


061207


061107
Saw that there was a sale of Fox DVD sets at Best Buy yesterday, but when I got there they were closed. So this morning I went and picked up The Shield season five for twenty bucks! Sweet! Now it just might be an even longer week after twelve days, woohooo, loopy time!


061007
Well, today was another day of work, on a Sunday of all days. This was a long one. Not only did I not want to be there, the work was boring me to tears - making COLLISION geo. Anyone who has worked in this industry knows that dreaded "word". Not only is making collision geo for a game level not very creative, it's also very tedious. It requires concentration that no one really want to use up. Making collision geo is usually one of those tasks that gets delegated to the poor saps that intern at game companies. I guess you have to start somewhere, so they get all the mundane work. Of course not all game are made this way. I call this method the "Lost Dinosaurs" method of game making. This was fine five years ago for simple graphics games of XBox and PlayStation 2, but with the more powerful next gen systems, it's a waste of precious time. Level editors like Quake, Unreal, Crytek, etc. are the way to go. Not only are they more "user friendly" for artist and designers, they're also no external exporters to go through. Simply make your stuff and export and build directly to the game engine. And NO collision making, that stuff's for the birds!


060907
Woke up this morning feeling pretty good. I was up at a decent hour, and didn't feel tired at all. More like "refreshing". So good, that I didn't feel like going to the painting workshop because I want to enjoy that feeling for a little while longer. Those feelings are few and far between, so I have to take advantage of it when ever possible. Got the stacks of bills paid and sent off, and headed to the music store to look around. Saw all of the guitars that I want, but can't afford, but that's okay. I was in a good mood and didn't want to spoil it, heh, heh. All those happy feelings went away as soon as an hour into getting into work. But after work, those feelings started to come back slowly. Need to go eat dinner.


060807


060707
Today was such a late day. I went to sleep late, Wednesday night/Thursday morning around 2AM. I was not up until 10AM, when Timmy called to see if I was around before reading the meters out back. We had plans to have breakfast the next time when he was going to be around, my neighborhood, reading meters again, which was today. So I got up and we headed to a nearby diner. I had the special, which consisted of two eggs, two pancakes, and two sasusages and a glass of OJ. Timmy decided he was going to have the same thing except with bacon, and then asked if it would be possible to have bannanna slices mixed in with his pancakes. "Damn", I though, you could do that? Because that sounded pretty darn tasty to me, so I'm going to have to remember that next time.

By the time we were done, it was a quarter to eleven. Wow, I'm really late to work today, hahahahaha. But that's okay, cus I'm going to be paying for it tonight. To make a long story short, I left work a little under nine hours because I was feeling a little loopy and can't concentrate on work. So, off to see the Sandman, I go.


060607


060507
So today was a totally sluggish day. Not surprising, since I only had about four hours of sleep due to the can of Red Bull that I had to down in order to stay awake and finish my work. Well, the results of the long hours sure wielded it's ugly head today when I looked at what I had checked in. Some colors were wrong and miss-matched and will require some lovin after Alpha. I'm quite tied and must go see the Sandman.


060407
It's 2:55 in the morning and I just got back from work twenty minutes ago. This has been a long sixteen hours of work and the last four hours has been trying to fix a sorting problem that's still not fixed, just like yesterday. Anyway, it's checked in for today's' deadline and onto another zone in the morning. Let's see how many ungodly hours we can long in for the next ten days, woohooo, loopy times are here again!


060307
Work was such a struggle today. I was hoping to get this certain part of the level to look really good in, maybe, two to three hours at the most. But that didn't work out, even though I have thought about the details and how to accomplish them, in my mind, and everything worked out great. It was quite different when I was actually doing the work. Picture this: It's like when I try to replay the process that I had worked out in my mind, everything was a blur - I didn't remember what, exactly, the process was. And so, nothing was done that was productive - It was a total waste of, yet, another beautiful day. I'm such a dork.


060207
This is the first Saturday that I got up early to go figure painting in Mill Valley. This is also the second session of a two session pose and I didn't go to the first, so I was just going to sketch the model instead. The problem was that the model never showed so my friend Cameron and Lenny went sketching landscapes instead. Never did much landscape sketching so it was quite hard because I'm not familiar with landscape drawing techniques. Maybe I should brush up on that one of these days after Alpha. It's a beautiful day today. I'd better enjoy it for tomorrow, back to the office I go - stupid Alpha!


060107

No comments: